Subject: "Southern Ocean" approved!
From: "Guthridge, Guy G" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:36:37 -0400

Dave:

Congratulations!  As a result of the recommendation you formulated and
submitted to the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names (ACAN), the term
Southern Ocean has been approved for U.S. Government use.

In September 1998 ACAN had forwarded your recommendation, with ACAN
endorsement, to the Foreign Names Committee, which has jurisdiction over the
naming of ocean areas.  This afternoon the Foreign Names Committee reported
its decision to the full U.S. Board on Geographic Names.

This information will be disseminated in the community, but I wanted you to
be first to know.   

Give me a fax number, and I'll send you minutes from today's BGN meeting.
The minutes contain this:  "The Committee's most significant decision during
the reporting period [April-October 1999] was the adoption of the term
Southern Ocean as a standard name for the body of water surrounding the
continent of Antarctica. . . .  In a parallel activity, the International
Hydrographic Organization has decided (through a referendum of its member
states) to use the term Southern Ocean in the next draft of its Special
Publication No. 23, Limits in the Oceans and Seas."

Best regards, and many thanks, from

Guy Guthridge